Thiago Sandim is a partner of Demarest’s Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity practices. Among his regular clients are sovereign funds and large foreign pension funds, as well as Brazilian financial institutions and conglomerates. Thiago is a non-executive member of boards of directors of retail, real estate development and financial companies. His performance is recognized by major global and local legal rankings.
Thiago Barbosa Sandim
Chemical and Petrochemical
Consumer and Retail
Energy and Natural Resources
Infrastructure and Project Finance
Infrastructure, Transport and Logistics
Insurance and Reinsurance
Mergers and Acquisitions
Private Equity and Venture Capital
Technology, Media and Telecommunications
23/04/2021SUSEP Public Consultations No. 8, 9, 10 and 11: New rules on liquidity of supervised entities and assets held abroad
- Regularly advises certain Canadians pension funds in their investments in Brazil, in all areas (infrastructure, banks, mining, etc.). Regularly assists Asian and Middle East SWFs in their investments in Brazil;
- Advised a major Asian SWF in the largest ongoing PE investment in the country, for a value of circa BRL 6 bn. Advised one of the largest European insurance groups in the sale of a Swiss bank to a Brazilian bank for circa USD 1.7bn. Later advised another European financial group in the acquisition of the European businesses of a Brazilian bank for circa USD 2bn. Some of these deals were considered “Deal of the Year” by major publications;
- Advised a consortium of SWFs and flagship family offices in the PE investment in the largest Brazilian investment bank, for USD 1.8bn. During the IMG phase, advised the bank and the consortium in the expansion of the business in LATAM and Europe. Advised the bank and the consortium in the exit IPO. Several phases of this investment were considered “Deal of the Year” by major publications;
- Regularly advises Brazilian infrastructure groups in their mergers and acquisitions, among which the largest Brazilian JV in the urban mobility industry (circa USD 5bn at the time of the investment), M&As in toll roads, ports etc. Assisted an African airports operator in its winning bid for the largest Latin American Airport (for BRL 19bn). Several of these deals were considered “Deal of the Year” by major publications; and
- Details of the transactions above, as well as a complete list of the transactions led by Thiago Sandim may be obtained from Demarest’s Business Development department (if authorized by the clients).
- Certificate in Negotiation Mastery, Harvard Business School Online, 2020.
- Bachelor of Laws from the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP), São Paulo, Brazil (1997)
- Visiting Professor at INSPER, 2003-2013
- Author of the Brazilian Chapter of the “Private Equity Handbook” (Published by Getting the Deal Through) since 2015
- Author of the Brazilian Chapter in “Chambers Legal Guide – M&A” (Published by Chambers and Partners)
- Author of “Basic Concepts of Brazilian M&A” (Mondaq)
Portuguese and English