Fernando Benjamin Bueno
Government Relations International Trade and Customs
Partner in Demarest's Corporate Investigations practice area, focused on International Trade and Government Relations practices, Fernando Benjamin Bueno concentrates his practice in representing industries in investigations of trade defense measures (antidumping, subsidies and safeguards). He is the current Director of the International Trade Committee at the Brazilian Institute for Competition, Consumer and International Trade Studies (IBRAC) and member of the International Trade Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). Fernando holds a bachelor and post-graduate degree in Law from Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie and a specialization in the areas of International Trade and Government Relations through the “Mastering in Trade Policy” program at Harvard Kennedy School (USA) and Academy of WTO Law & Policy, from Georgetown's Institute of International Economic Law (USA). Fernando has also worked at the Brazilian Embassy in Washington (USA) and the Brazilian Mission at the WTO in Geneva (Switzerland). In addition to trade defense investigations, he also has experience in negotiations of free trade agreements, negotiations and disputes on barriers (technical, sanitary, among others) to international trade and other trade policy matters related to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and other international entities.
- Advised ArcelorMittal, Gerdau and CSN in antidumping investigations and subsidies on Brazilian imports of hot-rolled steel originating from China and Russia.
- Advised USIMINAS in several trade defense cases (anti-dumping and subsidies) initiated by the United States and the European Union aimed at USIMINAS exports to these countries.
- Advised Rhodia/Solvay in anti-dumping investigations of acetic esters, adipic acid and polyester yarns.
- Advised the National Association of the Tire Industry (ANIP) in anti-dumping investigations and anti-dumping reviews on imports of car, bus, cargo, agricultural and motorcycle tires.
- Advised the McCain Group in the anti-dumping investigation into Brazilian imports of frozen French fries.
- Postgraduate degree in Tax Law from the Faculty of Law of Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, São Paulo, Brazil (2005)
- Bachelor of Laws from Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie Law School, São Paulo, Brazil (2003)
- Member of the Federation of Industries of the State of São Paulo (FIESP)
- Member of the Brazilian Institute of Competition, Consumption and International Trade Studies (IBRAC)
- Member of the Institute of Brazilian International Trade Analysts (ABCI)
- Member of the International Chamber of Commerce Committee – Commission on Trade and Investment Policy (ICC)
- Member of the Board of Government Relations Institute (IRelGov)
- Author of the article “Desafios para Regulamentação do Comércio Digital Internacional” [“Challenges for the Regulation of International Digital Commerce”], Revista de Direito do Comércio Internacional, Enlaw, nº 31, 2020.
- Author of the chapter on “Trade Defense and WTO practices” in the book “International Trade Law Review”, The Law Reviews, 4th and 5th editions, 2018 and 2019.
- Portuguese and English
Insights related to Fernando Benjamin Bueno
Brazil adopts MERCOSUR instrument to increase import tariffs due to trade imbalances
24 de January de 2024