Amanda Nunes Sampaio
Partner in Demarest's Dispute Resolution practice area, Amanda Sampaio holds a master's degree (LL.M) from Columbia Law School (New York), having been awarded the Person of the Year scholarship from the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce in New York and from the Instituto Ling in Brazil. She also holds a postgraduate degree in Economics from Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV) and a bachelor's degree in Law from Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul (PUC-RS). She concentrates her practice in judicial and arbitration litigation in the sphere of corporate, capital markets, competition, commercial, construction and infrastructure areas, including pre-litigation consultancy. Amanda was recognized by renowned legal publications in Brazil, such as Latin Lawyer, Análise Advocacia and Análise Advocacia Mulher. She holds dual qualifications as a lawyer in Brazil and in the United States (New York State Bar), having worked as a lawyer in the international arbitration practice at Kirkland & Ellis in New York.
- Represents companies and private equity funds of one of the largest Brazilian investment groups in arbitration with founding shareholders of a company invested in the retail market (investment of more than BRL 1 billion) on matters related to the relationships and obligations between shareholders.
- Represents an asset manager of one of the largest Brazilian investment groups in arbitration initiated by an investor to discuss the performance of an asset in a private equity investment, in the individual value of approximately BRL 80 million.
- Represents a multinational consulting and auditing company in a lawsuit filed by a shareholder of an investment fund in credit rights to discuss the advice provided by the company involving the fund’s assets and the alleged impact on its investment, in the individual amount of approximately BRL 15 million.
- Represents a Chilean multinational in the retail sector in arbitration and other related disputes that concern its expansion in Brazil via the acquisition of a company and new constructions in the built-to-suit model, in the amount of BRL 2 billion.
- Represented and advised a French multinational in the field of infrastructure construction in arbitration and other related disputes involving highway concessions in a Latin American country with an impact on the investment carried out under Brazilian law in the amount of BRL 4.5 billion.
- Master’s degree (LL.M) from Columbia Law School, New York, United States (2017), having been awarded The Parker School Certificate for Achievement in International and Comparative Law.
- Postgraduate degree in Economics (Master of Business Economics) from the São Paulo School of Economics of Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV-SP), São Paulo, Brazil (2013).
- Bachelor of Laws from Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul (PUC-RS), Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil (2010).
- Member of the New York Bar Association.
- Member of the Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (Young ICCA).
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce em Nova York: agraciada com o Person of the Year Fellowship (2016) e membro do comitê de jovens (2017-2019)
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce in New York: Person of the Year Fellowship (2016) and member of the youth committee (2017-2019).
- Instituto Ling: LL.M alumna (scholarship for LL.M).
- Mentor of the “Women in International Law Mentoring Program” women’s group, coordinated by the American Society of International Law, in New York (2017-2018).
- Lectured a class on international arbitration in Latin America at New York University Law School, for undergraduate and masters students (NYU Law, 2017).
- Author of the article “The law governing the arbitration agreement: Why we need it and how to deal with it”, Arbitration Committee of the International Bar Association (IBA), 2020.
- Co-author of the article “A (im)possibilidade constitucional de o Estado fornecer medicamentos de alto custo e/ou sem registro na ANVISA” [“The constitutional (im)possibility of the State to provide high-cost and/or unregistered medicines with ANVISA”], in the book “Constituição da República 30 Anos Depois, Uma Análise Prática da Eficiência dos Direitos Fundamentais – Estudos em Homenagem ao Ministro Luiz Fux” [“Constitution of the Republic 30 Years Later, A Practical Analysis of the Efficacy of Fundamental Rights – Studies as an Homage to the Minister Luiz Fux”, Editora Fórum, 1st edition, 2019.
- Co-author of the article “Discovery in Cross-Border Disputes: Choosing Between Domestic Litigation and International Arbitration”, New York Law Journal, 2018.
- Portuguese and English