Marcia Cicarelli Barbosa de Oliveira
Insurance, Reinsurance, Health and Private Pension
Partner in Demarest’s Insurance, Reinsurance, Health and Private Pension practice area, Marcia Cicarelli Barbosa de Oliveira has a master’s degree in Civil Law from the University of São Paulo (USP) and a specialization in Insurance and Reinsurance Law from Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV). Marcia has more than 25 years of experience, leading highly complex cases in all lines of insurance that involve consulting in contracts, operations, product development and claim regulation. Her practice also includes working in insurance and reinsurance litigation before Mediation and Arbitration courts and chambers. She was assistant professor of Civil Law for the graduate course at PUC-SP and invited professor at USP to lecture on Insurance and Reinsurance. She is currently professor of the MBA course in Insurance/Reinsurance Law and the Executive MBA course in Insurance and Reinsurance, both at Escola Nacional de Seguros (ENS), as well as a speaker at several national and international events. Her performance is recognized in the main local and international legal publications, such as Chambers & Partners, The Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal, Análise Advocacia 500, Leaders League and Latin Lawyer.
- Represented an insurance company in a lawsuit filed by an insured, who claimed for a retroactive and prospective review of the value of the premium due to the stoppage of the construction of drilling rigs according to the Risks Insurance Program of the Oil Sector. Related value: BRL 44 million.
- Assisted international reinsurance companies on the coverage of the monitoring and review of the claim agreement of collective suits referring to guarantees against the administration of a multinational joint enterprise in the oil sector. Related value: RBRL 812 million.
- Consultancy regarding the effects of subrogation of rights from direct recovery by Reinsurance on claims compensated by a main cessionary.
- Review of the wording of the Responsibility Insurance Policy of Directors and Counselors in accordance with SUSEP Circular No. 54153/20167.
- Represented an insurance company in a lawsuit concerning the payment of a contractual fine due to the termination of an insurance representation agreement. Related value: BRL 4 million.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Law from the University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil (2011).
- Post-graduate degree in Insurance and Reinsurance from Getúlio Vargas Foundation (FGV), São Paulo, Brazil (2002).
- Bachelor of Laws from the University of São Paulo (USP), São Paulo, Brazil (1996).
- Member of the International Association of Insurance Law (AINDA).
- Chair Director of the National Academy of Insurances and Social Security (ANSP).
- Legal Director of the Insurance Technicians Association of São Paulo (APTS).
- Partner of the Brazilian Institute of Insurance Law (IBDS).
- Portuguese, English and Spanish