Partners:Cássia Fernanda Pizzotti Eloy Rizzo Fernanda Stefanelo Luiz Fernando Henry Sant’Anna Thiago Giantomassi Medeiros
In defense of social, environmental, and business well-being.
Good performance on the ESG criteria for environmental (E), social (S), and governance (G) factors is essential for prosperity in the corporate world. More than a differential, good practices that focus on the construction and transparency of a more sustainable business environment are decisive to keep the confidence of investors, consumers, and partnerships, besides meeting society’s growing demands for a more humane perspective on business activity, including attention to the impacts of its chain as a whole.
In a landscape where ESG practice becomes underpinned by even stricter legal and voluntary requirements, relying on experienced legal advice makes all the difference. Besides the reputational scope, specialized professionals contribute to risk measurement and support in best practices as well as ESG reporting, among other activities, such as IPO and attracting investments.
The subject has been undergoing increasing regulation (in accordance with international criteria, with national regulatory agents, such as Brazilian Central Bank (BACEN) and Brazilian Securities and Exchange Commission (CVM), and even judicialization has entered into the scope of ESG, considering the growing demands before the judiciary on issues related to climate change, social responsibility and diversity, among others.
At the same time, opportunities are created from the regulation of the carbon market and the creation of various legal incentives for sustainable and social businesses.
Based on the integrated work of partners and lawyers from different areas, Demarest provides full support in keeping its clients compliant with the constant amendments in the laws and also in adapting to the best national and international practices.
Our multidisciplinary performance is designed to adapt to the needs of each client, in order to offer more assertive, focused services that avoid risks, including greenwashing, and that take advantage of the opportunities that corporate sustainability promotes.
We can assist with:
Environmental and Sustainable Business
- Reduce Air Pollution;
- Circular economy – recycle, reduce, reuse;
- Access and maintenance of water quality;
- Natural Resource Management;
- Supply chain compliance management;
- Land use and avoided deforestation;
- Reforestation projects;
- Renewable energy;
- Emissions reduction and offsetting;
- Climate change – carbon credit market and projects for net-zero reduction, decarbonization credits (CBios), I- RECs;
- Green Economy -development and investment in sustainable business;
- Identification of risks and opportunities related to environmental certifications and seals;
- Environmental and ESG audits, including the supplier chains;
- Regulation on sustainability;
- Green bonds and investments;
- Health and safety of employees and the population;
- Human rights;
- Modern slavery;
- Child Labor Trafficking;
- Engagement of interested parties and the community;
- Improved quality of life;
- Relationship with employees, customers, and supply chain;
- Conflict areas;
- Verification of measures and elaboration of action plan for inclusion of socially vulnerable people;
- Advice on administrative and judicial proceedings related to social inclusion, harassment, abuse, among others;
- Relocating for displaced people.
- Anti-corruption compliance — internally, and in administrative and judicial proceedings;
- Anti-bribery and anti-money laundering corruption;
- Drafting of internal ESG policies;
- Executives’ pay;
- Financial and corporate reporting;
- Greater transparency;
- Gender pay gap and hierarchical levels;
- Diversity and inclusion;
- Data protection and cybersecurity;
- Risk management and supervision;
- Duties and responsibilities.
|Find out more about how we can provide legal support to reduce the obstacles between implementing ESG guidelines and your company’s purpose:
Insights of ESG Environmental, Social and Governance
Client alert on ESG, Environmental, and Public and Regulatory Law: Ministry of Environment and Climate Change launches first public notice on forest concession in the Atlantic Rainforest
31 de July de 2023
The Association of Private Port Terminals has published a guide of best practices for port sustainability based on ESG guidelines
26 de July de 2023
Law No. 14,611/2023 establishes new measures on equal pay and remuneration criteria for women and men
6 de July de 2023