Thiago Barbosa Sandim
Corporate Listed Companies Mergers and Acquisitions Private Equity and Venture Capital
Partner in Demarest’s Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity practices, Thiago Sandim holds a Bachelor’s degree in Law from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (PUC-SP) and a Certificate in Negotiation Mastery from Harvard Business School Online. His clients include Brazilian and international conglomerates operating in various industries, private equity funds, Asian sovereign funds, Brazilian and foreign pension funds and financial institutions. Sandim is a non-executive member of boards of Brazilian listed companies. He was visiting professor at INSPER (Teaching and Research Institute) for ten years. He has led on several award-winning transactions and his practice is recognized by major global and local legal publications and rankings.
- Advised GIC on negotiation for the purchase of Sulamérica by Rede D’Or São Luis, of which GIC holds around 20% of the share capital, valued at approximately BRL 16 billion.
- Advised Mover Participacoes S.A. in several matters related to its investment in CCR S.A., a publicly-held company, listed in the Novo Mercado segment of B3, which mainly operates within the infrastructure sector. Sandim took part in relevant discussions regarding the participation of Mover in the corporate governance of CCR. He also took part in discussions on the terms and conditions of the CCR shareholders agreement, within the context of Andrade Gutierrez’s departure from the CCR control block and in the definition of the strategy of maintenance and reorganization of the shared control between Mover and other shareholders of the block, following the departure of Andrade Gutierrez.
- In the infrastructure and concessions market, among other transactions, advised VINCI Concessions on its Latin American expansion in a transaction (acquisition of Linea Amarilla) worth EUR 1.7 billion, as well as Brazilian concessionaires (OTP and EcoRodovias, among others) in the processes of buying and selling highways (CRB, Araguaia highways, among others), urban mobility assets (SuperVia, Via 4 and Sao Paulo Metro Line 6 , VLT RJ and VLT GO), industrial plants (Braskem) and logistics assets (Multilog). Another notable transaction involves advising a South African concessionaire (ACSA) in a joint venture with a Brazilian concessionaire (INVEPAR) to operate the largest airport in Latin America (GRU Airport), valued at the time at BRL 19 billion. This second transaction was awarded Deal of the Year by Latin Lawyer.
- Advised Grupo Movile and Wavy on their acquisition by Sinch, the world leader in cloud communications, aimed at mobile user engagement. The amount involved is approximately USD 600 million. Advised Netshoes on their merger with Magalu.
- Advised a consortium formed by Asian sovereign funds (GIC, CIC, ADIC and OTPP) and flagship family offices (JCFlowers, Rothschild, Motta and Agnelli) on the acquisition of a significant stake (PE) in the largest Brazilian investment bank (BTG Pactual). Subsequently advised the same Clients in the expansion of the business of such bank in Latin America (Chile and Colombia – acquisition of Bolsa y Renta and Celfin Capital) and, finally, in the BTG IPO. Several stages of this transaction were awarded Deal of the Year in several jurisdictions and in Latin America (IFLR, Latin Finance) . Advised OTPP on its investment in Manabi Mining (currently M.Log) and subsequent sale to Southeastern and KYC.
- Advised GIC on its investment in Rede D’or São Luis, valued at the time at BRL 6 billion. Advised GIC on the IPO of Rede D’or São Luis, which valued Rede D’or São Luis at approximately BRL 110 billion reais (second largest IPO in Brazilian history). Awarded Deal of the Year by Latin Finance and winner of the IBEF Golden Tombstone Award. - Advised Even in Melnick's IPO.
- Advised one of the world's largest insurance groups (Generalli) on the sale of a Swiss bank (BSI) to a large Brazilian conglomerate (BTG Pactual). Amount involved EUR 1.5 billion. Subsequently advised a buyer of the same bank in Switzerland (EFG), in a transaction once again reaching more than EUR 1.5 billion.
- Details of the transactions mentioned above, as well as a complete list of transactions advised on by Thiago Sandim, categorized by year and industry, can be requested by current and prospective clients from Demarest’s marketing department.
- Member of the Cross-Border Transactions Committee of Lex Mundi.
- Certificate in Negotiation Mastery, Harvard Business School Online, 2020
- Visiting Professor at INSPER, 2003-2013
- Bachelor of Laws from the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP), São Paulo, Brazil (1997)
- Author of the Brazilian Chapter of the “Private Equity Handbook” (Published by Getting the Deal Through) since 2015
- Author of the Brazilian Chapter in “Chambers Legal Guide – M&A” (Published by Chambers and Partners)
- Author of “Basic Concepts of Brazilian M&A” (Mondaq)
- Author of the Brazilian Chapter of the Private Equity Handbook, Law Business Research, March 22, 2012.
- Portuguese and English
Insights related to Thiago Barbosa Sandim
TRF3 and DREI confirm that large-sized limited liability companies are not required to publish financial statements
7 de December de 2022